We believe that the bonds of sisterhood will support us in our quest for personal growth and provide a positive environment for the sharing of ideas and the advancement of women. As sisters of Epsilon Kappa Theta, we strive to achieve these goals to enrich ourselves, our sisterhood, and our community.
President: Carla Galarza '13
Vice President: Kathleen Cunningham '13
Treasurer: Jennifer Jaco '13
House Manager: Katelyn Burgess '13
Programming Chairs: Melissa Centeno '13, Alex Leach '14
Membership Selection: Soo Jee Lee '13
Service: Adriana Flores '13
Panhellenic Council Representatives: Emily Marshall '13, Melissa Centeno '13
Formal Chair: Jennifer Jaco '13, BreAnna Houss '13
Sustainability: Rachel Wang '13
Guru: Emily Marshall '13
Webmaster: Carla Galarza'13
Secretary: Melissa Centeno '13
Sisterhood Chairs: Soo Jee Lee '13, Rachel Wang '13
Rush Chairs: Katelyn Burgess '13, Aarti Kamat '13
New Member Education: Emily Glassberg '13, Morgan Wharton '13
Scholarship: Anna Leah Berstein Simpson '13
Social Chairs: Jennifer Lure '13, Amanda Martin '13, Victoria Madigan '14
Historian: BreAnna Houss '13
Alumni Relations: Soo Jee Lee '13, Morgan Wharton '13
Jock Chair: Jennifer Lure '13
Symbols and ColorsThe colors of EKT are navy and maroon. Navy blue is for constancy, faithfulness, and genuineness. Maroon, a deep red, is for optimism and revolution. These colors are opposite, representing diversity in the house which is brought together through the combination of the two colors.
The shield of EKT is a shield with a moon and shooting star at the top, draped with ivy and waves. The date of our founding is at the bottom of the crest. The moon is a symbol for a female and also stands for brightness. The shooting star stands for aspiration. The ivy represents scholarship, friendship, and fidelity. The waves along the bottom are a symbol of change and represent the continuous evolution of ourselves.
The flower of EKT is the Tiger Lily. This flower was chosen because a lily represents exceptional fairness, and a Tiger is a person of great activity, strength, and courage. Ivy is the symbol of our sisterhood - an ever growing bond linking sisters together where every sister was a new leaf on the ivy.
In the early 1980s, Dartmouth's Sororities were much different than they are now. Only a few female houses existed on campus, and those limited their pledge classes to 25 or 30 women every year. During this time, a number of new sororities were formed by women who were not content with the options open to Dartmouth women. Among them were the predecessors of Sigma Delta, Kappa Delta Epsilon, and Epsilon Kappa Theta.The 1984s called themselves CONS (Committee to Organize a New Sorority) and established a provisional organization according to Dartmouth's guidelines. At the time, only sororities affiliated with national organizations were formally recognized by the college, and CONS choose to affiliate with Kappa Alpha Theta. KAT is the oldest sorority in America, and Dartmouth's chapter was its highly celebrated 100th colony. We were installed as the Epsilon Kappa Colony of Kappa Alpha Theta in January of 1982. The new sorority was visited by national officers, and by sisters from UVM, who initiated the founding class. Since we had no physical building, KAT met in classrooms, dorm rooms, or whatever random space they could fine, including the basement of the president's house! Ritual items and other common possessions were stored in scattered dorm rooms.
By the Spring of 1984, KAT proudly boasted to their pledges that they would soon have their own house. In the Fall term of 1984, Alpha Chi Omega (now KDE) moved out of the International House, and KAT moved in. The house presented unforseen conflict in the Epsilon Kappa Colony. Our local advisors were dismayed by our eager use of the house for open parties and social gatherings. The national specifically forbade having alcohol in the house, and severely limited male visitation. By 1985, EK sisters were beginning to weigh the pros and cons of affiliation with KAT.
Unfortunately, in the winter of 1992, things took a turn for the worse. A "travelling consultant," an ambassador from the KAT Grand Council came to stay at EK Colony for several weeks. The consultant who arrived was dismayed by EK Colony's abandonment of tradition and ritual. She found our sloppiness with rules and rituals disrespectful to the national. After a short time, EK sisters resigned themselves to her criticism, and she in turn reported the colony to the national. On the return of our officers from spring break they received notice that we were on "double secret probation." The EK Colony began to question the returns we were getting when we sent away money to our national, and KAT began to threaten to revoke our charter.We needed a unanimous vote to become a local sorority. One sister argued that the vote was not really to become a local, but whether or not to become a national, coming into compliance with the rules and expectations of the national we'd ignored for years. After several rounds of voting, and many tears, we decided to dissolve our relationship with KAT. We informed them of our decision, and they in turn revoked our charter.
By the time we moved into 15 Webster Avenue that Fall, the officers of the former Epsilon Kappa Colony had thrown together a new name, new colors, a new pledge, a new everything. Epsilon Kappa was retained from our colony name, and Theta from the national, so we would still be "Thetas."
Twenty-three women reside in this college owned facility, located at 15 Webster Avenue. Architects Dwight & Chandler designed the house at 15 Webster Avenue for W.M. Patten in 1896, who owned it at least through 1931. The M.H.M.H. Nurses' School leased the builiding from its owner in 1942, and the house was still in private hands in 1950. The Tau Epsilon Phi Fraternity, founded in 1950, occupied the house by 1961. In 1969 that organization became The Harold Parmington Foundation, later transforming into Delta Psi Delta.By the Spring of 1992, Delta Psi Delta fraternity was in dire straits. In an attempt to rally membership, they went co-ed, incorporating most of the brothers' girlfriends, but not many others. The college quickly snatched up the property, and Kappa Alpha Theta got the house at 15 Webster Avenue over Tri-Delt with the help of KAT loyalist Deb Reinders in the Office of Residential Life. The Delta Psi House Corporation used the profits from the sale of the property to establish the 15 Webster Avenue award community service award, on the condition that the award plaque always remain at the house. Delta Psi Delta also requested that KAT make their alumni feel welcome in their old home. Kappa Alpha Theta became the local Epsilon Kappa Theta in 1992.
ContactFor more information, visit our website! http://www.dartmouth.edu/~ekt/
Last updated on May 26 by Kathleen M. Cunningham
contributors: Diana M. Pechter, Adriana E. Flores, Nicholas P. Parillo