Winter Intramural (IM) basketball is a great way for fraternities, organizations, or even just groups of friends to play each other in basketball. The rules and policies are below.
Winter IM 5-on-5 Basketball Rules:
1. Team Size
2. Equipment/Ground Rules
- Five (5) players constitute a full team. Teams with less than 5 will forfeit.
- In the Co-Rec division there must be 2 women on the court at all times.
- Soft, dry, clean rubber-soled sneakers are the only footwear permitted on the floor. BLACK-SOLED shoes will not be allowed, unless they are basketball shoes. No barefeet, socks, street shoes or sandals of any kind.
- Pinnies will be provided and must be worn unless a team has like colors or matching jerseys, and the officials can differentiate between the teams.
- Intramural Sports will provide a standard, regulation-size
(based on the sex of participants) ball for all games. With the agreement of both team
captains and the officials refereeing the game, an alternate ball may be substituted.
- No hats, jewelry, or watches may be worn during a game. At the sole discretion of the IM supervisor, exceptions may be made for mandatory religious items.
- The game will consist of two (2) halves of 15 minutes running time, with a three
minute half time. Each team may use two 45-second time outs per game. The clock will stop for timeouts in each half and on all dead ball situations in the last two (2) minutes of the second half where the score is within 6 points. Overtime periods are 3 minutes. In League play, if the game is still tied after 2 overtimes, the game is recorded as a tie.
- Substitutions are allowed any time the ball is dead but they must not delay the game.
- Only players in the game may call timeouts.
- Only the captain or designated captain can approach officials or activity supervisors.
- Referees may, at their discretion, eject a player for any act he/she determines to be
repugnant to the spirit of the game.
Co-rec Rules modifications
- Zero tolerance for fighting, alcohol use and any personal abusive language or slurs.
- The women’s basketball is the default ball.
- When possible, women guard women and men guard men.
- No scoring differential; no possession rules.
Winter IM 5-on-5 Basketball Policies:
- Dartmouth Intramurals are for Dartmouth students, staff and faculty. Not eligible: spouses, partners, alums, parents, siblings, visting friends, community members.
- Game Time is forfeit time. A legal team is 5 players. A co-rec team must have 2 women. If there is not a legal team, the game is recorded as a forfeit.
- Players may play on only one men’s (Granite or Moosilauke – not both) or one women’s team. Women may play on either a men’s or women’s team - not both. These players may also play on a co-rec team. Co-rec players may play on only one Co-Rec team (Granite or Moosilauke – not both). If a team is short-handed, it can play with “borrowed players, the score is recorded as a forfeit.
- Varsity basketball players listed on the 2010-11 roster at any time after October 15 are ineligible for IM play.
- Referees will call the games following recreational basketball rules.
- Game blocks are 45 minutes: 5 minute warm-up, two 15-minute halves with a 5-minute half-time; each team is allowed 2 45-second time-outs in the game. The game clock will stop only for timeouts and in the last 2 minutes of a game where the score is within 4 points.
- If a team forfeits once, the forfeit fee is deposited and the team receives a -1 in accrued. pointsIf there is a second forfeit, the team is removed from IM play.
- No alcohol allowed. Intoxicated players will not be allowed on the court.
Last updated on May 22 by David R. Lumbert II